Sunday, May 6, 2012

Manila Sunday (like a Vanilla Sundae)

It's funny...I've been working 18-20 hour work days, ending each one with less energy than Rosanne Barr after a push up contest, and somehow I find myself with too much awake time on Sunday evening in Manila. Risking Sal's retort that I could stand to loosen up on my Sunday regimen (after all, I am traveling internationally), somewhere between boredom and dinner, I catch myself hoping that Krista magically found some time to update the blog with news from home when it hits me...I have the Blogger app on my phone. Suddenly, Sunday afternoon became slightly more chocolate than vanilla.

With no shortage of culture, I'm amazed at the experiences that encompass me and yet, I'm eager to wrap it up and go home. Maybe it's because I risk my life with each ride I take away from the hotel. Or maybe it's because Nicolas Cage is the face for Mont Blanc...I don't know. All I know is that Thursday is in no hurry to get here, and that bugs me.

Once Thursday comes and I'm on my way to find a Coco's restaurant in the Tokyo airport, I'm sure I'll already miss my hotel, room service, fresh coconut (which tastes nothing like the sweet stuff in the bag at the grocery store, which is 100 times better...on second thought, I won't miss the coconut. No milk, just water, and it WASN'T sweet.)

I am guilty, though. I will miss all the little people. Literally...I tower most of them by a head. These are some of the friendliest people I have met. When it's all said and done, I will be plotting my return trip. PADI SCUBA certification for $60, which includes armed guards to protect you from local pirates and general wrong-doers, real pearls that cost just a few pesos, vendors who express their undying loyalty to their client (until they find someone who pays better, of course), and amazing food, live music, and lots of things to see that are not as common in the US. Like McDonald's sticky rice, Jeepnies (local inexpensive transportation), and guys who relieve themselves in public. I'm told that's the fastest way to become an honorary Filipino, by the way. If you got business to do, you don't wait for the luxury of indoor plumbing...you just get your business done. The bar is set low here, folks. In fact, I need to renew my membership at this very moment.

See you Thursday, US of A, in all your indoor plumbing glory!!

2 comments:

The Shirleys said...

I think it would be a lot of fun to travel and see new places. Of course it would be more fun if you had your family with you and you were working fewer hours. I love the buses there. Are they why you were scared for you life?

Unknown said...

I need a dial update...so please make this happen...I miss you guys and will cry myself to sleep tonight!