Monday, April 6, 2009

Confession Sessions

Let's just say...Chris was a bit to hard to handle in his growing up years. His poor mom and anyone from Preston would probably laugh and say that's a major understatement. Anyway. After we were married, Chris would tell me these hilarious stories. Except they are only funny now. Looking back. So every once in awhile...we have these things call confession sessions with Chris's mom where Chris tells her some of the crazy stuff he did that she never knew about. Don't worry...they both are laughing. Now.

For example, once Chris was grounded but his mom asked him to go to the store. So what did he do? He took the car, picked up some of his friends who were at a dance he wanted to be at and went to "flip cookies" (as they say in Preston--I've always heard it as donuts...but that's not the point.) Then they decided to hit a snow bank (Huh? What? Yeah. I know.). It was a big snow bank, so they knew they needed plenty speed. They got back as far as they could in the parking lot, floored (the 318, so I'm told) the '72 Dodge Dart and went no where because that fierce power gave no forward momentum on a sheet of ice. Finally the wheels caught and they were off. At about 45 miles per hour, they hit the snow bank and went airborn. The car flew over the road and finally skidded out of control over the far curb and just about went through the front of some poor old lady's home. With their adrenaline pumping and nerves wracked, their only intention was to get out of there. They sprayed snow all over that poor old lady's house. As they were driving away, the car seemed to effortlessly shift to the right...then to the left...and then just as suddenly back to the right again. They pulled over to see if the road was especially slippery. Road conditions hadn't changed. But for some reason, the car would not drive straight. Chris took the friends back to the dance and headed home. He walked through the door and his mom remembered that she needed one more thing from the store and decided to run get it herself this time. Chris went to bed hoping she wouldn't realize that the car effortlessly shifted from left to right. To left. The next time they chatted, his mom commented on how slippery the roads were...how the car kept shifting from left to right. To left. When the snow melted and the roads were no longer slick...the car still shifted effortlessly from left to right. To left. His mom had someone come look at the car and they told her that both the ball joints were broken on the axle (which apparently causes a car to not be able to drive straight.) His mom questioned the mechanic about how they would break and was told it would take a tremendous force to break the ball joints. Chris just whistled and walked away.

It was just a couple short years ago that his mom finally found out how those ball joints were broken in one of our fun confession sessions.

Wow. This turned into a long post. A novel, really. You still here?

Now what does that have to do with my post? Actually nothing. I just remembered that confession session when I put that as the title of this post and thought it was a really funny story and got carried away documenting it for our posterity and all of you. For more confession sessions...you'll have to ask Chris. Unless I feel a need to post another one soon. They are pretty funny.


So here is my confession session:

I love to sneak in and watch my boys sleeping.


I look at them and wonder how on earth I could EVER be frustrated by them. They are so sweet and innocent. Quite awhile ago, Rachelle posted this awesome article about raising kids. THANK YOU, Rachelle! I think about this article all the time. And have decided that I need to read it every morning. And maybe a few more times on some days.

That's it. Kind of boring compared to the confession session above, huh? But since I am posting this blog post...I can get away with it, right?

5 comments:

THE ORMES said...

Thanks. That article you referred to was exactly what I needed today.

Yeah, I always have to go look at them once they're all asleep. Every night I do it. I can't sleep if I don't.

And Chris . . . oh I'd better not have a child like you!!!! But it's definitely fun to hear about now. :)

JoEllen said...

Chris was out of control! Oh my goodness! That is an awesome story.

I love to catch Little Sal sleeping. It doesn't happen too often. He usually wakes up when I open the door, but how can you resist the urge to take a peek anyways? They're so sweet!

The article was great! Good post.

Rachelle said...

Chris... what a rebel. I never would have guessed. I'm glad you liked the article and glad you posted it again since I needed to be reminded again.

The Shirleys said...

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing. I love the car story. Andy has some of those and it makes me wonder why I have two boys!?

YOur boys are so cute!

Daisy said...

Well Chris & Krista, I have my own car story, but I cannot tell it while your Nana is still living....down the road though, I will tell you the REALLY stupid thing I did once, and your Uncle Willy saved me. I did not however, go airborn. Great story!