Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Perfect Storm

Ugh. How can you move less than 10 miles away and have it disrupt your life so much? Crazy.

Our move. It was crazy busy. But you already know that. Next!

Chris's work schedule. He hadn't traveled for work for a couple years. But all the sudden--we moved and then he was out of town three out of four weeks for work. Which normally--wouldn't really be an issue. He loves to travel for work, gets to do fun things that he loves doing for work and sees people he loves to work with that he doesn't usually get to see. So that's not the issue.

So we move--then Chris travels for 3 out of 4 weeks.

Caleb starts a new school. First day--total success! Phew! That was easy! Second day--hmmm...we seem to be missing our old school, teacher, and friends. Third day...Not so good. His new teacher (who is totally awesome by the way) is out for a day or two that first week. The next week, Caleb gets croup. Like a really bad version of croup. He had fevers for 9 days. Kid was mIsErAbLe. And hAtEs taking medicine. Fight. Every. Time.


So we have a house full of boxes, the boys are sleeping in new rooms, Chris is traveling, Caleb is not liking his new school, and then he gets croup and he will not take his medicine without a big struggle.



Then Carson gets croup. Sigh.

But at least he loves to take medicine. :)



So we have a house full of boxes, the boys want their old house back, the boys just want their dad, I just want their dad, Caleb is not liking his new school, and then he gets croup and fights me several times a day when it's time to take medicine and then Carson gets croup (but at least he likes to take his medicine).

We miss our old neighbors and friends. The new neighbors are awesome and have all come over to introduce themselves and they all seem great. But it just takes awhile to make friends.

So...we have a house full of boxes, Chris is gone, Caleb is not excited about the new school--not that it matters because both boys are sick and we miss our friends.

But we also miss our friends at church. In our church--the congregation we attend is based on geographic boundaries. So we changed congregations. Again--everyone has been so incredibly nice and welcoming!! It has been so awesome and I have been so grateful. Heck! We had two dinners delivered from friends at church within 48 hours of moving in! Seriously! Everyone is so nice. But it takes awhile to make good friends. And...we miss our really good old friends.

So...we have a house full of boxes, Chris is gone, Caleb doesn't like school, and is missing a lot of school, both boys are sick, we miss our friends in our neighborhood, and we miss our friends at church.

Usually--my boys are the best of buddies. They have their moments where they're not...but not really. But after we moved? Wow. It was awful.

So...we have a house full of boxes, Chris is gone, Caleb doesn't like school, and is missing a lot of school, both boys are sick, we miss our friends in our neighborhood, and we miss our friends at church and my boys are suddenly mean and fighting with each other.

Are you starting to see our perfect little storm? ;)

The bottom line--I totally underestimated how much of an adjustment this would be. It really was the least of my worries. Because there were SO MANY other things to worry about. The move seemed like the end of the stress. But in reality--it was the beginning of a whole new level of stress! Each time I dropped Caleb off at school and saw those tears streaming down his cheeks, I just wanted to take him and run and never look back. SO NOT like him! It seriously felt like my heart was shredding into a million little pieces. Or when I watch him walk into his church class on Sunday and shyly sit there instead of making all kinds of mischief with his buddies from our old congregation...I just want to whisk him away and go back.

I expected that it would be a little adjustment for the boys. But really--I didn't even consider that it would be an adjustment for me. I like meeting new people. I thought it would just be fun. And it has. But it has also been strangely hard. I feel like I did when we first moved to San Antonio. Homesick and unsettled and just kind of blah. And I don't like that feeling. I'm not used to that feeling.

We have been so so blessed. We have a house that we totally love. Everyone in our new neighborhood has been so nice. Everyone in our new church congregation has been more than nice. Caleb's new school is heads and tales above his last one. Like really--night and day. And I just absolutely love his teacher. Chris gets to work from home a lot now which cuts out his 30-45 minute commute. So how can I feel blah? That's the part I don't get. It seems so ungrateful. Is this normal?!? Tips? Advice?

Scoot over Caleb. I feel like joining you. :)

I don't want to make it sound like we are all just here moping around and depressed. That's definitely not the case. I guess it has just taken me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to have so many moments where I felt like that. Heck--I didn't really expect to feel any moments like that. And I understand now that it is just going to take time. And things are definitely finally looking up. Caleb seems to be settling in at school finally. Carson actually adjusted the quickest. And the boys are mostly best buddies again. We are meeting people. And it has been fun to spend a lot of time together as a family and just refocus on what is really important in life.

3 comments:

Heather said...

This is exactly how I feel every time we move. And the last time we moved it was, quite literally, across the street... However, being in Utah, that means that we moved wards AND our old Stake is getting ready to be divided. My best friends are still in my old ward but they stuck me right in Primary when we moved here (I love it, not complaining about teaching) BUT I haven't met ANYONE. My next door neighbor is the sweetest... but they'll be moving around August... right about the time I'll need a great neighbor (new baby and all!). So, I feel your pain. I'm sorry. :( I hate feeling blah. We've been here for 7 months and I'm just starting to kind of feel normal. I'm glad I don't have to deal with Scott and school until the Fall. We'll see how that goes. Meanwhile, good luck! You guys are wonderful and I know things will work out!

The Shirleys said...

I think it is hardest to see your kids struggling. I am glad that the boys are starting to settle in.

I think your feelings are very normal. I have a lot of the same feelings every time we move. Glad to hear you have a great ward and neighbors!

THE ORMES said...

Time, prayer, and taking it day by day. It will get better; you will adjust. It's never as fast as we'd like, and of course it will be different, but it will start to feel normal soon enough. Sorry things have been so rough!!