Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hero


(Chris holding Caleb when he was a baby, Chris's dad, Chris's Uncle Rod)

One of Chris's heroes passed away a couple weeks ago. His Uncle Rod died very unexpectedly in a kayaking accident at a young 50 years old. (see the news story here). He died in Austin, just hours after Chris's grandmother (Nana--also his uncle Rod's mother) passed away in California (more on that soon.) What a day for the Dial extended family.

Chris has always looked up to his Uncle Rod...as a father figure, a mentor, a church member, an entrepreneur, a businessman...the list goes on and on....

We are so happy for the time we've been able to live fairly close to them and visit them while living in San Antonio--a short hour and a half drive away from Austin. How we will treasure our memories of him and the example he set for our family.

The funeral was beautiful. And just packed with people whose lives, as our lives, were influenced so much for good.

His passing and funeral brought back waves of emotions and memories for me. I couldn't help watching his sweet kids and mourning for them. For the heartache that I know is theirs now and the heartaches that will come and go for years to come. I mourned for all the missed future life events--weddings and baptisms and missions for the church and births of their children--his grandchildren. My heart aches for them because my heart has ached for my own mom who died when I was 9 years old. And yet...I know they'll be ok. Because I'm ok. I know that their dad will still be a part of their lives, because my mom is still a part of mine. I will see my mom again...as I know they know they will see their dad again.

Another good reminder about how short life is. How we need to make the most of it and not sweat the small things.

No comments: