Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Don't Get It

I really don't get it.

I have all these theories when it comes to parenting. Some work. A lot don't.

When I put Caleb to bed, I give him a bath, help him brush his teeth, and have a vitamin. I help him put on pajamas, read soothing books, sing a couple soothing songs, and tuck the cute boy in with lots of kisses. I leave his room and then lately, the fun starts. The Battle of Bedtime, if you will. Last night he was up until midnight messing around.

Now there is Chris. When Chris puts Caleb to bed, he gives him a bath, helps him brush his teeth and have a vitamin. That's where our similarities end. He chases Caleb all around, wrestles him while putting his pajamas on, reads the craziest loudest books he can find, sings the least soothing and most ruckus causing songs and the room just resounds with giggles and hyperness. Chris puts Caleb in bed with lots of kisses and friendly banter and leaves the room.

Now in the meantime, I am thinking to myself, that kid is never going to go to sleep now. I prepare to give Chris my motivational speech, (I don't like to consider it nagging, right Cindy?) about how Caleb needs to calm down before going to bed. I hold my tongue and save it for when I first hear that little puff of air when Caleb is opening his door to start the Battle of Bedtime. Just so I have evidence on my side, right?!? But you know what?!? That puff of air doesn't ever come. The kid lays in his bed and goes to sleep. The first time...I thought...hmmm...he's lucky tonight. Second time...what a fluke. After lots of times, well...I'm at a loss.

Can anyone explain this to me? Again...I just don't get it. I can't bring myself to use the same method at night either.

New theory: Chris should just put Caleb to bed every night.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hmmmm.... I don't get that either. I have had the same problem though when Aaron and only Aaron could get Andrew to sleep and it drove me crazy. I like the solution at the bottom.... let Chris put him to bed every night. :)

Rachel said...

Your last theory sounds like the best. But then you start to feel left out...but then again this could come in handy with baby #2 fastly approaching. Then Caleb won't feel such a big change if Dad starts the ritual now and mom can have some mom time before the big arrival.

Heidi said...

New theory is grand! At our house I kiss and love the boys and then send them up stairs to their rooms with dad!! It sounds the same, wild and noisy but the conclusion is they fall asleep! I don't get it either? If I do it they cry,and want me to lay by them and need more kisses and it never ends. So I take care of Lacey and daddy takes care of Bryce and Rusty, works for us!!!

The Shirleys said...

That sounds very familiar. I don't know what it is about Dads rough housing and getting the kids all worked up, and then they go to sleep!? I guess it is one of those eternal truths we will learn during the millenium. I am with you, I think Chris should put him to bed every night too!