Saturday, December 20, 2008

Miserable

Well, so much for the ol' 10th anniversary. Good thing we celebrated a couple months ago. Chris flew back into town on Wednesday night and soon after I realized I had caught some sort of stomach bug. It was awful, awful, awful. I threw up (among other things that I will avoid mentioning here) every hour for 24 hours straight. I was so glad Chris had our anniversary off from work...so he could take care of me and Caleb. :) He is such a good guy. He really is a trooper and took good care of me!

It was especially ironic since that same morning (Wednesday) I had a doctor's appointment in which we had a long discussion about needing to actually gain some weight during this point in the pregnancy. So far, I've only lost weight. Which I'm not sure how that works since I feel HUGE! I told my doctor that I had gained enough weight the five years before I ever got pregnant the first time to cover it all, but she didn't go for that.

At first I thought it was just a weird pregnancy thing since that's kind of been the story of this pregnancy...but after several hours, I realized it was probably something else. So I was just hoping that Chris and Caleb wouldn't get it. We kept an eye on Caleb, but everything seemed normal. Until tonight. At Walmart. Picture a jam packed, last weekend before Christmas, full store, and a two year old who had just eaten dinner, a nice dad that picked up that two year old...only to have that two year old lose what looked like every meal for the last two years all over both of them and a very busy aisle of Walmart. Poor Chris and Caleb. They were just covered in nastiness. And poor Walmart employees who helped us clean it up. I'm sure we made their already fun day even better. Merry Christmas to them! Caleb fell asleep on the way home and even slept most the way through a bath. Poor kid. I was really hoping he didn't get it because I knew how miserable I was, and wouldn't wish it on anybody. Any tips for containing messes when kids puke every hour or so? I've never been so thankful for the "Little Green Machine" (an awesome ready to use mini steam vac that is perfect for such messes at home!) Looking forward to a long night and day tomorrow! :) Hopefully it only lasts 24 hours like mine did!

Unfortunately, the beginning of the week was fairly busy and we interacted with lots of different people. So to anyone out there that we are responsible for spreading this Christmas cheer with, I AM SO SORRY!

8 comments:

Janet said...

Hope you all feel better in time for Christmas. Just think what a great story that WalMart trip will be for years down the road. Merry Christmas!

THE ORMES said...

Okay. First sooooo sorry y'all are sick. Stomach bugs are just awful.

Now here's what we do. We have 5 gallon ice cream buckets that the kiddos have to cart around. At his age, he might not make it in the bucket all the time, but after awhile they get used to the system.

Now I'm not sure if you've called the Children's Methodist nurses yet, but I have before and this is what they told me (if I'm remembering correctly). After an hour of not throwing up, give 'em about 1 oz. of drink (water, apple juice) every 15 minutes. After an hour or two, if they seem able to hold that down then you can add cheerios and crackers . . . a little of something simple. Keep it simple until those seem to be staying down and then you can add more to what he's eating. The key is not to rush it and to push the fluids first.

If he refuses to drink, I've found presentation can make a huge difference. A cool cup. A cool straw. Something from McDonalds.

I think that's all the tips I have. Hope y'all get better soon. The holidays aren't very fun if you can't stuff yourselves!!!

JoEllen said...

Yucky, yucky, yucky!! Talk about a 10th anniversary you'll never forget! So sorry to hear you were so sick. I hate throwing up, but to do so every hour would just be horrific!! Poor Caleb! And poor Chris having to deal with all your nastiness. :) We feel for you. Hope you're feeling better for the big day.

The Blaisdell Family said...

SO sorry to hear this!! It's horrible throwing up and being pregnant. I feel for ya. And poor Chris and Caleb too.

We have the little green machine too and recommend it to everyone. Isn't it great?!! Perfect for sick days indeed!!!!!!

As for suggestions, we just make the kids sit on a towel were ever they go and have a bucket close by since they are too young to make it to the bathroom. We were told from doctors that liquid is way more important that getting food to stay down and to start out small. Try a teaspoon or two at a time, wait 1/2 hour and try again. We were told don't do water because it upsets the stomach even more until you are recovered more. So do gatorade (we pick the kids favorite color) or sprite. That seems to work for us, but it's still a tough situation that is so messy!

I wish I had more help to offer you. Get well soon and hopefully all will be well for the Holidays!

Heidi said...

Well, our family has just started with the same thing!After church Yesterday, Bryce lost his lunch from both ends poor kid.So he has started feeling better and now were wondering who's turn it is next!! Merry Christmas!

The Shirleys said...

I am glad you are feeling better. We had a bug a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't fun at all. It is a good thing we had Dads who are wonderful enough to take care of us!

Marcie said...

That sounds terrible! Hopefully you guys will be fully healed for the main holiday celebrations.

Unknown said...

So everybody is feeling sorry for you and Chris...but I just thought that it was funny!! It made me laugh...to think of all the vomit and all the diarrhea...did I actually just say diarrhea? LOL...makes me think of Joe. So that is the perfect 10th anniversary...at least you kow that Chris loves you....he would have to love you to clean up all the puke. Thanks for sharing your nasty, nasty story!!!