Friday, June 5, 2009

Dear NCI

Dear NCI,

On May 18th, 2009, one of your vice presidents walked into my husband's office and told him that his five year career with your company was over as of that day. I just wanted to say thank you.

I understand that there just wasn't any work to be done anymore. For an established company to be unable to win bids is a sure sign that it's time for a change. But still, to tell an awesome and very skilled employee that they are done that same day with absolutely no notice and minimal severance pay?!? It may make business sense for a company against the ropes, but it certainly isn't very compassionate. Either some notice or a real severance package would seem more appropriate.

You would think I would be angry, after all, we had a 3 month old baby whom we thought at the time may have some serious kidney problems. We have bills to pay just like everyone else. I was shocked, but it only lasted about an hour. To quote Chris, "I should probably feel bad, but I'm actually really excited to see where this takes us and what our next adventure will be." So, in fact, I'm not angry at all. I just wanted to say thank you.

You see, because he no longer works for you, many wonderful opportunities have presented themselves and we are very excited about the prospects. He probably would not have chased down any of these leads if he was still working for you. Again, thank you.

I'd also like to thank you for the three week paid vacation. We thoroughly enjoyed having dad home for three weeks and the timing, for our family, could not have been better.

And thank you for paying for a lot of Chris's MBA. It looks like he can now put it to work for someone else.

We grew closer as a family and to our Father in Heaven. And because we were taking inventory of everything, we decided that less is definitely more. We can do much better with the money and things we have been blessed with. And we are. And for that I say thank you again.

In some ways, I actually feel responsible myself for this job loss. When Chris first started working for you, he absolutely loved it. He loved the people--he loved the work. Monkey stickers on his badge, hilarious experiences on the plane ride home from Dallas, regular team lunches, daily challenges: he was actually excited to go to work each day. I told him that it isn't work if you enjoy it that much, but he continued on. But over the last little while, I have noticed a change. I felt horrible watching him day in and day out go to a job where I felt that he was not enjoying it anymore and where I felt he was being unappreciated. Thus, I had been praying for quite awhile that things would change at NCI or that he would find a different job where he felt valued and appreciated and excited to go to work again. You helped answer that prayer.

I'm sorry to say that you definitely got the worse end of the deal. You see, you lost a great employee. (Actually lots of them, I hear. But I only knew one really well.) The one I know worked hard for you and made you a lot of money. He always made his deadlines, even if it meant working all night a couple different times. While others would lose money on their projects and simply say they couldn't make the deadline, Chris made it happen. He and a couple others did such good work that it led to a huge project with a company that brought in a ton of money and work to your company. He did such a good job that you even promoted him three times in the five years he worked for you. I could go on and on. Really, I am just sorry for you. Some other great company just recently gained a very hard working, valuable asset and all around good guy-- thanks to you.

I sincerely hope you will take better care of our dear friends that are still working for you.

Thanks again!

Krista Dial

7 comments:

Kat Curtis said...

Wow - that was what you were talking about when you mentioned that you feel like good things are coming for the Dial family. Not that a job loss is a good feeling, but it seems to have been a good thing for you overall. I believe they are and will! I hope that you guys can find a good fit for you quickly!!

JoEllen said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe anyone would want to let Chris leave their establishment. He is such a hard worker and it always seemed like he really threw his heart into his work.

That being said...hooray for new and better opportunities!! Your optimism is super refreshing and I just know good things are on their way. You'll have to keep us all updated.

Rachelle said...

I like your attitude. We've seen the same unfair treatment in our own family and are glad that it has turned out so well for you guys. It is amazing the ways that the Lord can bring blessings into our lives. Congrats on the new job.

Dr. Mom said...

Don't forget to look in Cache Valley - not that there are a lot of jobs here - we just want you back! Miss you guys!

Ellice said...

Krista... you are hilarious :). What a great attitude and way to do deal with the situation :). Hope everything works out for the better :). Chris is an amazing guy... any company would be lucky to have him.

MikeNat&Co said...

Krista, Can I just tell you how much I love you? You are one funny funny lady! I think your out look on life is wonderful :) I think back to a quote that Pres. Monson said in April Conference "Your future is as bright as your faith'. You live that and your little family WILL be blessed!
As a side not I feel your pain. Michael also lost his job April 16th! With no notice and only three weeks paid severance. We too are keeping the faith that the right thing will happen for our family. We too have cut back and enjoyed the simple things of life. I feel blessed, scared, happy, stressed, grateful, on edge and faithful all in one. We will be praying for you guys. Hugs to the coolest family in the world.
love,
Natalie and Fam

The Shirleys said...

I am so sorry to hear he lost his job like that! I can't believe that they wouldn't want him. I am so glad he was able to find something else. We wish you the best!